Sassy B’s Skateboarding Jambaroo
Time for a quick review of the skate scene:
What’s hot, and what’s not.
- Ripping Ams. Watch out for the kids who are gnarlier than the pros. Bastien, Paul Rodriguez, Ruzcyk, and Austen Stephens
- Crazy Ramps. Bob’s got one, Danny Way and Colin McKay got one, where’s yours?
- Cool Clothes. You won’t catch Fowler, Dill, Grecs or Steffan Attardo in some sagging-ass Droors pants. Skaters can finally dress like rock stars.
- Skating Weird Shit. Ask Jon West or McCrank. Find it, skate it, move on.
- Smoothness. Thankfully, style is back. Creager, Koston, Kalis, Appleyard = Butters.
- New Spots. All those SoCal spots getting knobbed means I don’t have to see the 150th noseblunt at the Arco rails. European spots are amazing.
- Rail-Dogging/Parking lot gaps/Hubbas. There seems to be no limit to the stair count or sheer square footage of the gaps and rails being taken out.
- Nollie tricks. It’s a fad, I know, but it’s still killer. Remember the hardflip? F/S pop-shove, anyone? When’s the last time you saw a F/S crook?
- Marc Johnson, Louie Barletta, and Jer. These guys crack me up.
- The Flip Team. the day the video comes out, I’m buying it.
- Little Kids. Give a kid a board, a camera, and an ad in the mag, and watch his career disappear. Let’s give em’ a year or two to grow before we wreck em.
- Super Tech. Unless it’s Mullen or Daewon, keep the fakie manuals for the driveway.
- Half-Ass/Wash-Ups. It looks like the aging “chiller” pros are finally done. Adios!
- Lines. I miss these, I truly do, but unless you can do em’ right…
- Vert Unknowns. Try as I might, I just can’t tell the difference between Pierre Luc Gagnon and Renton Millar.
- Zoo York. Jeff Pang has no reason to be in a mag in the year 2001, I don’t care how tall the 50-50 is.
- Chet Thomas. Please, Chet, no more hardflips.
- Knobbing Spots. It’s everywhere in California. I’ve lost 4 spots in the past 6 months.
- Horrible Skateparks. Never let a guy who designs playgrounds build your skatepark. The $150 fines for padlessness doesn’t help either.
- Tum Yeto. For some reason Swank rips off everything he sees. First it was Skateboard.com, now he’s ripping off Baker with Hollywood Skateboards. Ruckus trucks?
- Tom Penny hype. Either he does a trick or I don’t want to see him.
- Big Brother Magazine. From Rad to Sad in just a few months. Damn.
Two posts in one week? Awesome!
I liked Big Brother for a while but it looks like its too into skateboarding for me. Thats why I read MAD magazine when i poop!